Date of meeting: July 29th , 2008
Meeting called to order: 7:10pm
¨ Attendees: Thomas Bjorkman, Phil Knapp, Frankie Long, Bill Larzelere, Susan Ottenweller, Kevin Swartley , Bill Squires, Miles Persing(Code Enforcement Officer)
¨ Special guests: Town Supervisor- Bob Hayssen, ZBA Chairman Bob Taylor
A quorum was present.
Since no Planning Board Chairman was in place since Bob Kayser’s resignation,
Susan Ottenweller (decided by members) called the meeting to order.
Sub division Public Hearing on Ezra Wengard
- Sub division of Ezra Wengard’s property on the corner of Ernsberger Rd. and Rt. 414 was opened for public comment. There was none. Board members asked about a five acre parcel that was separate from the two parcels that were being sold to Reuban and David Stoltzfus. Bill Larzelere informed the Board that this was being sold as part of the “B” lot and that all setbacks and road access appeared to be proper. These parcels will be farmed and be part of the Ag district.
Thomas Bjorkman moved that this subdivision be passed by the Board. Kevin Swartley seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
The Public Hearing was closed at 7:15 pm.
Regular Planning Board Meeting
At 7:16 PM The regular meeting of the Planning Board was called to order by Susan Ottenweller
¨ June 26th Meeting minutes approved- TB moved- FL seconded- Voted Unanimous to accept
¨ Planning Board Chair
Planning Board members were given an opportunity to state their interest or lack of interest in being the Planning Board Chairman. After much discussion, new member Bill Squires consented to being the Chairman for a one year period. Citing his newness to the Planning Board, he asked that Thomas Bjorkman be able to consult on matters that he did not have knowledge of. Thomas consented.
Thomas Bjorkman made a motion that Bill Squires be appointed Chairman for a one year period. Susan Ottenweller seconded and the vote was unanimous in the positive. Bill Squires ran the meeting from this point forward.
¨ Zoning Code Change Discussion
Changes to the new zoning code and suggestions for language were discussed in depth for several “issues” that have come to light since the new code was adopted in December of 2007. These concerns have been brought forth in public comment and letters to the Board.
Decisions made were:
1. to make Churches “permitted” in the LakeShore Zone in the Use table
2. 302.4 Section1 Common Access in Lakeshore Zone- Discussion of multiple family uses of common lake access- Changed to 2-4 families per 100 ft of lake frontage. For greater than 4 families, an added 20 feet of frontage is required per family. Each 100 foot of frontage can have one dock and boat hoist.
3. Remove, for now, all crossed out text in the existing code and renumber paragraphs. The issues addressed in the crossed out text will be put on a list for future discussion.
4. Building/lot specifications
Impervious surface- Decision was made to remove the impervious surface requirement in the code and deal with scale of housing on a lot by defining the “building envelope” allowed on a lot. After much discussion, the amount of a lot under roof will be 25% or 2000 square feet whichever is greater.
Side setbacks- in the Lakeshore zone only will be changed to 10 feet
House height – in Lakeshore Zone will be increased from 25 feet to 35 feet although recognizing that more lot coverage with a single story house was preferable to a two or three story house that will block lake view.
Discussion was also about the 80% coverage allowed in the Hamlet district as too much and most agreed it was too high, but would be put on the list for further discussion.
Kevin Swartley suggested a 25% lot coverage in the Rural/Ag District instead of 20% on a minimum .7 acre. All agreed.
Section 306.3. Increase allowable dock surface area to 850 square feet and reduce the side set back to 10 feet. This includes boat hoists as well.
Section 107. Add definition of dock and seawall as approved at the May 22, 2008 Planning Board Meeting.
Section 308, Use Table. Add Seawall as a Conditional Use in the Lake and Lakeshore Districts.
Section 310.22. Add condition on seawalls that permission is obtained from state and federal agencies before construction or repair.
6. Storage Sheds and/or Accessory Facilities
All sheds bigger than 144 square feet need a building permit(County requirement)
In all Zones- all sheds less than 200 square feet and 15 feet in height will have at least a 5 foot side and back setback from property line. Sheds larger than 200 square feet will have at least a 10 foot side setback from a property line.
Sheds will have a 70 foot front setback from the centerline of the road or be “in line” with the setback of the house on the property.
Lakeside sheds for beach storage will be setback same as existing sheds on adjoining properties.
Sheds in Rural Residential Zone used for vegetable/baked goods sales stands are allowed.
Thomas Bjorkman - moved to accept all proposed changes to the Varick Zoning Code as described and forward to the Varick Town Board for further discussion and Public hearing. Susan Ottenweller seconded the motion and the vote was unanimous in the affirmative.
Next Meeting: August 28th 2008 in Varick Firehall at 7:00 pm
Meeting adjourned at 9:15 pm.
Minutes respectfully submitted,
Bill Larzelere- Secretary