February 27, 2016

PB minutes 1/28/16



Draft Copy PB Meeting 1/28/16

Meeting called to order at 7:05. All members present.

Minutes to the 12/17/15 meeting were reviewed and approved, motion made by Dave, second by Bill. An addition was made to the minutes to include the language suggested by Tom concerning temporary docks.

The Town Board announced a public hearing to adopt the Subdivision Code that we submitted with the depot Zoning Code instead of calling for a moratorium per our last meeting. The hearing will be held on Feb. 2. Tom is going to try to attend. Linda suggested that we each take turns attending TB meetings to maintain communication on necessary issues. Rich proposed that the PB should review the subdivision code if approved by TB to make sure it agrees with our original submission.

Larry C’s term as Code Enforcement Officer expired. Ricky McCullogh is taking his place. Linda is going to invite him to attend our next meeting.

Bill asked if our letter to the TB requesting a letter to be sent to the county concerning PB approval of all subdivision applications was delivered. Linda is going to inquire of Donna Karlsen.

There was a brief discussion concerning a proposal of Seneca County to take over the depot area. Nobody knows how much progress is being made on bids submitted for the area.

We decided to create a new Google document to keep track of progress we are making on current issues – docks, solar panels, and wind energy. We will add changes or additions each month to document our progress.

We returned to our work on the issue of temporary docks. We discussed how to grandfather in current docks of this nature. We need to have some kind of permit or document that identifies such docks. Both the owner and the town should retain a copy of such documents.
We also considered redefining “temporary” and decided to clarify this with “removable or seasonal.” So far our language is: “A temporary dock (removable or seasonal) only requires a permit initially and may be reinstalled annually as long as it remains within the confines of its original location and/or zoning setbacks, and providing its structure remains unchanged. If the lot is too narrow for a dock to meet the side setbacks, the ZBA may consider granting a variance for a temporary dock and hoist with smaller dimensions installed in a way that does not impinge on the neighboring lots and contribute to congestion. This provision shall not be used to justify allowing more docks on larger lots.”
Motion to adjourn was made by Hershey, second by Dave at 8:45.
Respectfully submitted,
Barry Somerville, secretary



PB minutes 12/17/15



PB minutes 12/17/15

Meeting called to order at 7:05. Members present: Linda, Tom, Bill, Dave, and Barry.

Linda gave an update about subdivision code and recent violations. We discussed the possibility of requesting the town board to call for a moratorium that will prevent any more subdivisions in the town until our code is revised. Linda spoke with Wendy Marsh (a lawyer) who said she could help the town with the legal provisions for a moratorium. This will give us sufficient time to address this issue while preventing any more problems from improper approval of subdivisions.

After some discussion the following motion was made by Tom, seconded by Dave and approved by all:
                “The Varick Planning Board requests that the Varick Town Board place a moratorium on any new subdivisions until the new subdivision code is adopted and to notify the county clerk of said moratorium.”

This was sent via email to Donna Karlsen, Bob Hayssen, and Todd Horton at 7:40 pm.

It was also suggested that if the TB does not move forward with adopting the subdivision and depot zoning code proposed by the PB that we ask them to adopt the former provisions and approve the depot zoning later.

We discussed the issue of temporary docks again. We agree that permits need only be required the first year for putting in a temporary dock. We talked about the possibility of the ZBA providing a variance for those that might not meet setbacks. Tom composed the following language that we might adopt into the current code:
“A temporary dock only requires a permit initially and may be reinstalled annually as long as it is placed in accordance with the constraints of the permit. If the lot is too narrow for a dock to meet the side setbacks, the ZBA may consider granting a variance for a temporary dock and hoist with smaller dimensions installed in a way that does not impinge on the neighboring lots and contribute to congestion. This provision shall not be used to justify allowing more docks on larger lots.”
We also discussed zoning for solar panels. Tom read some considerations from other code such as glare, height limitations, and screening from public view. Bill suggested submission of a site plan review. Barry mentioned that we might restrict the hamlet and lakefront districts to conditional use. We will continue to consider what to add to the code by searching what might be in other town codes.

We adjourned at 8:50 – motion made by Tom, second by Bill, approved. Next meeting is January 28, 2016.

Respectfully submitted,

Barry Somerville, secretary